South Texas Regional Airport Business Plan
R.A. Wiedemann & Associates was retained by the City of Hondo to develop a strategic blueprint for moving its Airport into the future, and take advantage of the growing connection between local business/industrial development and aviation in the South Texas/San Antonio region.
A growing rail yard and transloading facility at the south end of the Airport connected the facility with the energy exploration activities of the Eagle Ford Shale, along with agricultural production and raw materials transport.
The City had developed a vision plan for the industrial park surrounding the Airport and needed a business plan for the aviation side to attract businesses and users that will help the Airport achieve its new potential. The business plan included several components:
- The potential release and/or highest and best use of Airport property
- The recent departure of U.S. Aviation Academy
- The benefits and costs of attracting corporate aviation
- The potential for hangar development
- The identification of revenue-producing development options for the Airport’s landside areas
- The development of a brand for the Airport and City
- Several other facility-related issues
The resulting plan equipped the City to move into the future with assurance of greater financial production.